• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tbsp butter
• 1 yellow onion, diced
• 2 tbsp garlic, minced
• 1 cup arborio rice
• 1/3 cup dry white wine (Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay work well)
• 2 quarts of veggie or fish stock
• 3 tbsp ricotta
• 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
• 2 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
• 1 tsp lemon juice
• 1/2 cup asparagus, chopped and blanched (1-2 min)
• 1/2 cup fresh fiddleheads, blanched (1-2 min)
• 2 cups of fresh mushrooms (shiitake or a wild mix)
• 2 5-oz portions of Atlantic salmon filet, skin removed
• Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
• Optional: kale salad garnish (handful of kale massaged with red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper)
1) Wash and slice asparagus and fiddleheads. Add to a pot of boiling water and blanch for 1-2 minutes. Cool with ice bath, drain and set aside.
2) Sauté mushrooms in 1 tbsp olive oil over medium head until cooked. Set aside.
3) Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter.
4) Add diced onion to the pan and sauté until onions are translucent and starting to brown. Add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant.
5) Add arborio rice to onions and garlic. Turn up the heat to medium-high to toast the rice (you want a little golden color on the rice).
6) When the rice is just starting to brown and the moisture from the pan has mostly evaporated, add the white wine and stir the rice until half of the liquid is absorbed by the rice.
7) Slowly add the stock to the rice, 1 cup at a time, until rice is fully cooked (this process usually takes 4-5 cups of stock for 1 cup of rice). To avoid cooling the pan down each time, heat the stock before adding to the pan.
8) Add blanched vegetables and sautéd mushrooms to the risotto. Taste the dish and add salt and pepper as needed. Reserve a few veggies to top on the final dish.
9) Bring 3 cups of stock to a simmer in a sauce pan. Add salmon filets, poaching until cooked (5 minutes for medium, 4 minutes for medium-rare).
10) Plate the poached salmon over a bed of risotto, adding a few extra dollops of ricotta, some parmesan, and the optional kale garnish. Serve immediately and enjoy!